Arbitration Update - October 24, 2014
Final briefs were submitted by both parties to the arbitrator on Tuesday, October 21, 2014. We are hoping to have an answer within 45 days, as this is the time period in which most arbitrations are settled. We will let you know when we learn the outcome of this very important judgement.
Lend some support to the Alley family while Committeeman Phil Alley is in the hospital undergoing cancer treatment. Supporters are entered in a drawing to win two Southwest Airlines passes. Read more >>>
The Notice of Nominations and Elections for Triumph Committeeperson, Zone 7 and Steward, District 76 on 2nd shift was posted in error on October 3, 2014.
The original elections for these positions were proper and will not be run again.
Information regarding the nominations and elections of Triumph Committeepersons and Stewards and election of Local Union President. Read more >>>
Information for Members on Layoff
To remain a UAW Local 848 member in good standing after being laid off, the following steps must be adhered to:
• Within the last ten (10) days of the first six (6) months of being laid off, you must submit a letter to the Financial Secretary of Local 848 requesting to remain in good standing.
• To remain in good standing, a similar letter must be delivered in person or sent via certified or registered mail within the last ten (10) days of each successive month.
• In other words, your letter must be received within the last ten (10) days of the month before the month you wish to remain in good standing.
• The letter should contain the following information:
o Request to remain in good standing
o Phone Number
o Clock Number
Thank you for your cooperation in this matter and your desire to remain a member in good standing with Local 848.
UAW Local 848
Information to all UAW Local 848 members regarding the passing of a union dues increase at the UAW Constitutional Convention. Read more >>>
Triumph Contract Negotiations
Check for updates on the Triumph Negotiations under the "2013 Contract Negotiations" category here!
UAW 848 Leadership
President, Danny Splawn
1st Vice President, Chase Buie
2nd Vice President, Anthony Esparza
Recording Secretary, Kimberly Thomas
Financial Secretary, Jeffery Benge
Trustee, Eddie Conway
Trustee, Claude Cooper
Trustee, Keith Patterson
Sergeant-at-Arms, Ricky Reed
Guide, Erica Rogers
Retiree President, Gene Lantz
Chairperson, Fernando Argumaniz
Committeeperson (Zone 1), Terry Brooks
Steward (District 10), Chris Stifolter
Steward (District 11), Ernesto Salas
Committeeperson (Zone 2), Randy Rudd
Steward (District 20), Kenny Nimmo
Steward (District 21), Kurt Ingalls
Committeeperson (Zone 3), Dana Hamilton
Steward (District 30), Doyle Freeman
Steward (District 31), Charlie Maze
Committeeperson (Zone 4), Phil Alley
Steward (District 40), Shannon Moore
Chairperson, Kyle Dubberke
Committeeperson (Zone 1), Frankie McIntire
Steward (District 10), Lorenzo Taylor
Committeeperson (Zone 2), David Sartor
Steward (District 20), Robert Wilson
Chairperson, David Berrera
Committeeperson (Zone 1), Carlos Estrada
Committeeperson (Zone 2), Ken Lovelace
Steward (Districts 1-4), Ray Besherse
Retiree Leroy Hudgens explains why he volunteered to increase his retiree dues. Read more >>>
Learn how to update your address with the Local here. Read more >>>
Click here for a list of Union-Made Vehicles and Tires. Read more >>>
Listen to Retirees, Learn History
Listen to Retirees, Learn History
by Gene Lantz
Fidel Conde was one of about 500 Mexican Americans brought from the Valley to LTV while Lyndon Johnson was President. Many of them, and their descendants, made aircraft parts there for the rest of their careers.
For a video interview with Fidel Conde, click on http://youtu.be/2p6IqebYG2A.
Without Labor Unions You Would Not Have...
- Weekends without work
- All breaks at work, including your lunch break
- Paid vacation
- Family and Medical Leave (FMLA)
- Sick Leave
- Social Security
- Minimum Wage
- Civil Rights Act / Title VII (Prohibits discrimination in hiring)
- An 8-hour work day
- A 40-hour work week
- Overtime pay
- Child labor laws
- Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA)
- Worker’s Compensation
- Unemployment Insurance
- Workplace safety standards and regulations
- Employer health care insurance
- Employer dental, life, and vision insurance
- Collective bargaining rights for employees
- Wrongful termination laws
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA)
- Whistleblower protection laws
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) – Prohibits employers from using a lie detector test on an employee
- Veteran’s Employment and Training Services (VETS)
- Compensation increases and evaluations
- Sexual harassment laws
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Holiday pay
- Privacy rights
- Pregnancy and parental leave
- Military leave
- The right to strike
- Public education for children
- Equal Pay Acts of 1963 and 2011 – Requires employers to pay men and women equally for the same work
- Laws ending sweat shops in the United States
Thank a Union member by buying union-made in America products
Local Businesses Support Local 848
Brother Brian Caldwell and Sister Sherry Schardein visited businesses in the area to garnish support for Local 848. Read Retiree President Gene Lantz' article here!
Local 848 celebrates 70 years!
"Veteran" designation available on Texas driver license. Read more >>>
Please read the enclosed Notice to Employees and Members. Read more >>>